Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Evolution of the Girls' Room


Hi!  I wanted to share a little bit about the evolution of our girls' shared bedroom today and the reason I decided to DIY a wardrobe for their space.....

When my oldest (and back then only) daughter Paige (aka Jellybean) was three and transitioned to a "big girl" day bed, we gave her room a makeover.  A makeover which began with Mommy just trying to scrape a small part of the popcorn off the ceiling.  I'll never forget the day my husband came home and asked me what I was doing.  Well, we were off and running after that!  Scraping the ceiling led to crown molding which led to...well, you get the idea.  Jellybean's special request??  Rainbows.  After finding the perfect rainbowy bedding, we painted her walls, put up new window treatments and added cubbies & shelving for storage.  The space was "just right"!  

Shelves, shelves, shelves....
Here you can see that we utilized those shelves to their maximum potential.  Looking back, it amazes me how easily just one child filled up a bedroom!

Two years after redoing Jellybean's big girl room, we were blessed to find out we were expecting our second baby.  We had to figure out the best way to fit a crib, a changing table, and all the things that come with a new baby into this space.  It had been 5 years since we last had a baby in the house and one easily forgets how much schtuff they come with.  We had to make the best of what we had in our quaint, 1930's, 2 bedroom, 1 bath house.

I was thrilled to find out a baby girl was on the way!!  You see, our first time around, a gender neutral nursery was in order because we did not find out what were having until the day she was born.  (sorry I can't find any before pictures)  I was giddy excited to be able pick out girly crib bedding to match Paige's rainbowy room.  It was a challenge.  There just wasn't much to choose from in the way of bright color's for a baby's room but I eventually found a set that I L-O-V-E-D! It arrived about a month before #2 was born.  We re-worked the shelving around the room and added some new wall art then the room was "just right" again!



A little less than 2 years later baby Morgan (aka Gummy Bear) transitioned to a "big girl" bed (aka a twin size mattress on the floor).  Between their clothes, toys (for 2 completely different ages) and books their space seemed to be getting more chaotic day by day.

Keeping it real!

We needed a new bed to hold Morgan's "big girl" mattress and preferably another one that matched for Paige to sleep on.  The daybed just wasn't working for us anymore.  The trundle was convenient when we needed it, however it is very pinchy in the way of toddler fingers.  I had to come up with a plan to make 2 twin size beds fit and still leave enough play area for the girls (so my living room wouldn't be taken over by toys.) I had an idea to make their closet solely into toy storage and find some way of storing all their clothes in one large storage piece.  I started looking around at clothes storage options online.  I came across the Stuva system at Ikea.  I loved it, it was kid friendly and could hold hanging clothes and folded clothes.  However, I would need at least 3 of the combination shown below for what I had envisioned.  Together that would have cost over $600 and that was not in our budget.  
My wheels started spinning.  I began looking at different ideas all over the internet.  Then I came across this dresser and 2 identical cabinets on craigslist.  An ambitious idea to make there room "just right" again was born.



Just in a few short years, the girls' room has gone through so many changes in order to keep up with how they grow and change.  It is always a challenge to make sure their room is functioning well for them.  In fact it feels like our home is always going through changes in order to best suit our family. Reminds me of this Lowe's commercial.


  

Do you feel like your home is always changing and improving?

I do and I love every minute of it!  I can't wait to show you the outcome of the wardrobe project and then their beds which we built ourselves.

Have a blessed Wednesday friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment